Did you know that the skin is the largest organ in the body? Besides serving as a protective barrier against dehydration and germs, healthy skin complements your inner beauty. But your skin is constantly exposed to several environmental insults that severely damage it. Sun is a constant danger to your skin. The sun sends ultraviolet radiations that can pass through the earth’s atmosphere, especially UVA and UVB. These radiations can penetrate the deeper layers of your skin, where they cause DNA damage that results in darkening and burning of the skin and even skin cancer. Therefore, it becomes essential that you wear sunscreen to protect yourself against these harmful UV radiation.
This article will discuss everything you need to know about sunscreens and where you can get the best sunscreen in Singapore.
Why do you need sunscreen?
We all know how important sunlight is for our bones! It leads to the production of Vit D in our bodies, which helps in calcium absorption for stronger and healthier bones. But unprotected and long-term exposure to high-intensity UV radiations of the sun can have a detrimental impact on your skin and health in general. In this section, we will talk about why you should wear sunscreen:
- Reduces the risk of cancer
UVB radiations are high-intensity Ultraviolet rays coming from the sun. They can cause DNA damage that leads to an increased risk of cancer. Sunscreen is like a protective coat that you wear, preventing UVB lights from penetrating your Skin. An SPF 30 sunscreen can reduce the risk of skin cancer by a mile, ensuring that you remain healthy and safe.
- Reduces the risk of bAurns
Both UVA and UVB lights from the sun can cause sunburns. A sunburn is a condition where your Skin turns red, itchy, and painful. You may also develop blisters if it’s a severe sunburn. By preventing the absorption of UV light, sunscreens are like a guardian angel which keeps sunburns at bay.
- It prevents premature skin aging
Young adults in their 20s and 30s are more prone to premature skin aging later in life if they spend too much time in the sun without wearing sunscreen.
One of the many harmful impacts of UV light from the sign is that it can degenerate the elastin, collagen, and skin cells called keratinocytes, causing your skin to lose its elasticity and making it more prone to developing wrinkles, tan, fine lines, and age spots. Your skin becomes saggy and discolored.
- Maintains an even skin tone
Sunscreens not only help keep aging at bay, but they also help you look even more beautiful by keeping your skin tone smooth and even. Sunlight is a major cause of skin discoloration; forming spots called the ‘sunspots’ or ‘liver spots. They appear tan to brown and appear on your face, head, hands, and arms.
These sunspots are a source of distress for many people. Sunscreens prevent this skin discoloration from giving you an even and smoother skin tone.
How to use sunscreen with precautions?
There are a lot of myths surrounding sunscreen and its applications. This section debunks those myths and describes the best way to use sunscreen.
- Find the best sunscreen for your face
The best sunscreen for face is the one that is an SPF 30 or higher. Research says that a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 can block 97% of all the UVB rays from the sun.
Many sunscreens contain chemicals that may cause skin irritation. Applying a small amount of sunscreen on your wrist is better to see if it harms you. If you notice any redness, irritation, or rash, choose some other sunscreen until you find the best sunscreen for you.
- Who, where, and when should you use the sunscreen?
Who? Everyone, whether a child or an elderly or someone who has a dark skin tone, should use sunscreen. Using sunscreen from earlier in life will protect you from developing the signs of premature aging and help protect you against sunburns and even cancers.
Where? Use sunscreen on all the exposed parts of your body, your face, neck, arms, and legs. Make sure to cover neglected areas like earlobes, lips, and the back of the neck.
When? Apply it 30 minutes before you go outside, especially between 10 am and 4 pm when the sun’s rays are strongest. Even on cloudy days, scientists say that 80% of the UV radiation can still cross the clouds, so you should use it even then.
- How much sunscreen should you apply?
For face, neck, arms, and legs, apply 1 ounce or about a shot glass full of sunscreen.
Apply about half a teaspoon of sunscreen to the face and neck.
- Should you reapply sunscreen?
Yes, you should reapply the sunscreen every 2 hours, especially after exercising, being in the water, or sweating. But if you don’t go outside or sit near windows most of the time, you may not need a second application. So, it is better to be mindful of your sun exposure and keep a sunscreen bottle with you wherever you go.
- Some chemical sunscreens may contain certain chemicals that may irritate your Skin. Therefore, apply it to your wrist to find out if it irritates you.
- Speak to your dermatologist about your allergies. Sunscreen may contain certain ingredients that may trigger them, so it’s better to be proactive.
What you need to know about sunscreen?
Sunscreen is like a barrier for your skin against the harmful Ultraviolet radiations of the sun. They help protect you against sunburns, premature aging, and even cancer. Here are some fun facts about sunscreens:
- No sunscreen can block 100% of the radiation, but a sunscreen with an SPF rating of at least 30 or higher can block up to 97% of the sun’s UVB radiations.
- 90% of all the visible signs of aging are due to sun damage, which can be easily prevented using sunscreen.
- You should reapply sunscreens even if you wear water-resistant sunscreen.
- Applying more than one SPF product to your Skin will not necessarily raise the SPF number; you will receive only the amount of protection provided by the highest SPF product.
How to repair and soothe your skin after sunburn?
If you get sunburnt, you probably didn’t use enough body or face sunscreen. Here’s what you can do to repair your skin:
- Stop sun exposure immediately to avoid worsening the condition.
- Run cold water on sunburn, and avoid using ice directly or soaps that may irritate your skin.
- Moisturize your skin with aloe vera or other remedies to help accelerate the skin’s repair process.
- Drink a lot of water
- Apply Vitamin C, which speeds up the recovery process and helps restore the resistance and strength of your skin. It can also rejuvenate and brighten your skin. You can also opt to visit a facial salon for professional advice and care.
- Consult a dermatologist if your symptoms don’t improve or you develop blisters.
Meet Caring Skin
Caring Skin is a prime skin care establishment that combines plant-based ingredients with cutting-edge technology to target the ever-changing skin concerns of both men and women. Visiting a facial spa after sun exposure can help to provide your skin with the tender loving care it deserves. Due to their professional, honest, and sincere services, Caring Skin has emerged as Singapore’s top-rated facial spa. See Caring Skin reviews on their website to learn more.
Services offered by Caring Skin and its location
Caring Skin offers therapeutic and skin whitening treatments from their professional, experienced, and well-trained team of aestheticians based on your unique skin profile generated through high-technology analysis machines. They specialize in treating acne, sun-exposed and sensitive skin using all-natural ingredients. See the Caring Skin reviews to find out what customers say about them.
They also offer a wide range of skin care and skin whitening products, like the Vitamin C Essence syrup, whitening cream, and the Antioxidant SunProtector SPF 30, which Caring Skin reviews say is the best sunscreen in Singapore.
Caring Skin is also in Djitsun Mall, Heartland Mall, JCube, and Ngee Ann City. Caring Skin is open throughout the week, so contact them now to book your appointment.
Caring Skin X Atome
Caring Skin is an official merchant partner of Atome.
Atome is one of Asia’s leading Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) payment platforms. Atome is a Singapore-based company with over 10,000+ online and offline merchants as partners. It operates in 10 regions, including Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, and Mainland China.
The Atome app provides all shoppers with a seamless experience of purchasing the products you love! It allows its users to split the cost of the products from Atome’s partner merchant’s stores into three easy, interest-free instalments. There is no interest or hidden charges, so you can chase your aspirations of owning the things you want.
If that attracts you, choose Atome as your payment option while checking out. Get the Atome app now to get 10$ off your first purchase through Atome.
How to pay using Atome when buying from Caring Skin
Here’s how you can purchase your favorite skin care products in Singapore from Caring Skin using Atome:
- Download the Atome app on your phone and create a free account.
- While checking out from the Caring Skin website, use Atome as your payment method.
- You’ll be redirected to the app, where you can enter your login details.
- And voila! Pay the 1st installment at the purchase time and the other two 30 days apart.
Learn more about how Atome works.
Sunscreens are an essential component of the everyday skincare routine. In this article, we have discussed everything you need to know about sunscreens. If you are looking for the best sunscreen in Singapore, look no further than Caring Skin, a pioneer in the skin care industry. But don’t take our word for it; check out the Caring Skin reviews to find out why their customers love them.